Given another favourable day for outdoor art and the time was not wasted. Tomorrow should be similar before a colder front moves in but I can’t complain; originally it was thought that all this productivity would have to wait another 3-4 weeks. I’ll just take what I can get as it comes along.
Okay, perhaps the title is over the top and dramatic but today’s schedule so far has felt close to it.
After fulfilling duties this morning helping an older couple up came the idea of driving downtown on a quest for hidden art supplies not apparent to your average internet user. Hey, some of the best ideas can come out of wandering downtown.
Eventually wound up on Spadina Avenue which is famous for it’s vast selection of practically everything under the sun. Some items can’t be found anywhere else in the city! First stop was “The Collective” where they specialize in spray paint and related materials. If I can’t pour it or throw it I may as well as spray it. Next was “Gwartzman’s” an art supply store I first stepped into 40 years ago. Only minor changes have occurred in that time so it was certainly a trip to the past. They carry anything and everything art related but today I settled for more conventional materials.
Before heading out there was a storefront which read “House of Cannabis”. Needless to say the establishment needed further study purely for “research” purposes. Who would have thought research could be so expensive? To be frank, I believe in thoroughly understanding a subject to it was/is an intensive effort.
There are still a few hours of sunlight remaining to at least get a little painting done. A full day with the canvas is planned tomorrow. Fingers crossed that the warmer days stay with us!
Taking my weekend plans, which includes an intensive search for painting materials, now would be as good a time as any to once again reflect on an effort from just last year. Back when paint was still plentiful and the sun warm.
Looks like I may have started something that could prove impossible to stop. The previous painting session has me obsessing about a nearly completed canvas and today I may have thought through the ideal steps. Now would be a good time to creatively step back just to be sure this direction is truly the best. After all, you can’t unring a bell.
The weather update today has been getting my hopes up that at least one day this weekend outdoor temperatures will be sufficient for more artistic efforts. Perhaps now would be the best time to practice guarded optimism.
Can’t seem to ease my concerns about the shortage of appropriate paint available on the market. I really should go through everything on hand for a proper perspective and to plan ahead if the need to adapt arises.
Until I’m once again creating something on canvas now would be as good a time as any to provide a sample of Amateur Photoshop.
Seems some folks don’t care or are just plain forgetful…
As planned painting did eventually commence as the schedule allowed. Perhaps the conditions weren’t quite as sunny and warm as previously but there was no way I was going to turn down the opportunity.
Yesterday’s canvas was set aside until the next steps could be thought through. Today’s piece was once again an initial background started late last year. Just like before supplies were hauled outside and the same setup established. The elements didn’t quite spark the same unrestrained enthusiasm, what with the jacket and occasional shivering, but it all goes with the territory in Canada.
Overall the two paintings have progressed in remarkable and surprising ways. New ideas emerged and eventually decisions will have to be made. Each work is distinct and has to be allowed to reach it’s full potential.
Found out something unfortunate tonight; the shortage of pigment and paint production has hit artists even harder than I’d initially thought. Most retailers aren’t even taking orders for when stock arrives. With everything I have on hand there’s still work that can be done but the sooner an order can be placed the better I’ll feel.
Today calls for much the same temperatures but a significant amount of rain which could present a small problem. A hectic schedule beyond my control is the other problem but if there’s a way to work around it all I’ll find it!
That’s right, painting has officially started. While cooler this morning the weather cooperated enough to allow work to start about 90 minutes ago. Just a short post for now and a sample of what this season will bring!
Seems keeping an eye on the weather forecast during the days prior to outdoor painting has proven valuable once again.
The originally unseasonably warm temperatures scheduled for this afternoon have been downgraded considerably; roughly half of the estimate only 48 hours ago. If this proves to be the case then all outdoor artistic efforts will have to wait for Wednesday. Experience has show that cooler temperatures are not friendly to paint or it’s ability to adhere.
Even the best laid plans have to be adjusted and improvisation is needed. I’ll have to wait several more hours to see what unfolds and act accordingly. At least everything is prepared and thought through so there’s less chance of a rage post from this artist over the next day or so.
All will remain in a holding pattern until nature gives her approval to commence full speed.
Here’s another piece from a bygone era. It’s occasionally helpful to look back briefly as we prepare for the future. Tuesday is when the warmer weather kicks in for two days and apprehension seems to be the primary force guiding me there. Supplies have to be placed ready for action and the weather forecast will be monitored to see which hours will work best.
Just thought I’d present this piece as a demonstration where I’ve been creatively in the past. Looks like Tuesday and Wednesday will be good for a few hours of outdoor paint-on-canvas activity. Should turn a few heads on my street to say the least!